Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've seen multiple posts about winter alternatives for the Forte, but never a straight answer as to OBTAIN the steel wheel alternative for the car.

I was going to go down to the 16" tires (205 55R 16) and need steel rims to put said winter tires on them. I called the dealership and they were no help; went to Firestone and couldn't find anything for the car.

If I was in Canada I surely could go to Canadian Tire and get this done (eh).

What can I do to get some steel rims? Firestone quoted me the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 for $106 a piece. I just need rims for them to put em on!

The first snow experience last week here in Kansas City was HORRIBLE -- got stuck on my street!

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Yes, I've seen multiple posts about winter alternatives for the Forte, but never a straight answer as to OBTAIN the steel wheel alternative for the car.

I was going to go down to the 16" tires (205 55R 16) and need steel rims to put said winter tires on them. I called the dealership and they were no help; went to Firestone and couldn't find anything for the car.

If I was in Canada I surely could go to Canadian Tire and get this done (eh).

What can I do to get some steel rims? Firestone quoted me the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 for $106 a piece. I just need rims for them to put em on!

The first snow experience last week here in Kansas City was HORRIBLE -- got stuck on my street!

thanks
I got winters and steelies for $500 all in. Nankang SV1 (not the best but does the job) the steelies are hubcentric. You could probably try to contact a few places in Canada and see how much it would be to ship it down to the states, or call around to States that are known for their snow and get some. Right now it should be low season as who ever needed winters already have them and the shops just have an overstock and need to move it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You may have heard of this special little place... they sell really off-the-wall and one-of-a-kind things... really exclusive and quiet like... no one ever talks about them...

Wal Mart.

They don't have those in the US? Kinda funny 'cause they are all over the darn place up here but that's just the maple syrup talking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope

You may have heard of this special little place... they sell really off-the-wall and one-of-a-kind things... really exclusive and quiet like... no one ever talks about them...

Wal Mart.

They don't have those in the US? Kinda funny 'cause they are all over the darn place up here but that's just the maple syrup talking.
And I quote the woman in the tire department of my closest WalMart... "We don't sell rims here at WalMart".

So any other suggestions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Costco? I tried to get steelies here from them but they were sold out for the season by the time I called them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Costco? I tried to get steelies here from them but they were sold out for the season by the time I called them.
Thanks for the tip on Costco. I called and the person there said they didn't do steel wheels, but gave me a number to a place.

THEY HAD EM!!! $60 a piece.

·
Registered
284 Posts
steelies are cheap.

try finding them 2nd hand.

I assume you know your bolt pattern? - be sure to match the inside space (the inner space between the rims) so that your SX front breaks will fit, I had picked up 2nd hand 1997 Eagle Talon rims for cheap, they fit onto my car, but would just barely scrape my caliper on the front. Sold them. and picked up 1993 Ford Probe GT 16'' rims. Didnt measure the inner rim size on the eagle talon, but the Ford Probe's inner (smallest) clearance size is 14''.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice!!! Glad to help, I was going to say Sears next... :D:p

Forte333 is right, there should be lots on Kijiji / Craigslist too if that doesn't pan out. There are threads here that talk about rims from other vehicles fitting on the Forte so I would check them out if going the used route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think you're going to be out of luck on getting steel wheels for the SX. Tire Rack doesn't have anything. You might be able to get 15" LX steel wheels, but the 11.8" SX front brake rotors might not give you enough clearance. Best check with the dealer. IMHO the Tire Rack does offer the best choice of tire/wheel combinations. The biggest problem I've had with alloys in the winter has been my failure to clean off the brake dust that gets ahead of you when it's too cold to clean the wheels. The brake dust and salt eat through the lacquer. BTW, I changed the Goodyear Eagle LS 2's that came on my '11 SX 5-Door for Continental Extreme Contact DSW's at the 1,200 mile mark. They're quieter and smoother riding and very good in the moderate snowfall we've had in Cleveland, OH since mid-February although I'm sure they're no match for a dedicated winter tire in really heavy snow. BTW, the Goodyear Eagles were terrible in the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts