Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know not everyone will know much about this, but does anyone know how well the forte koup manages in the winter? ie. does it start easy? does it get stuck easily? these are kind of important to me because i live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. It's winter here for the majority of the year so not being able to drive in the winter would make me have to look for a different car.

Please have good news....i don't want a different car.....:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I bought my EX Koup, manual tranny in mid Dec last year. Ran with the all seasons throughout the winter and with the 5w20 oil it came with. I never had any trouble starting it up on those -35 temps we had (unplugged). The tranny and clutch are very stiff at that temp but loosens up after a few kms. I drove through some pretty deep snow and never had any troubles. Handled it better than my previous 07 Pontiac Wave. You have to make sure you turn off the TCS (Traction Control) when in deep snow or it tries to apply the brakes when you spin, which means you will go no where.
I now have 5w20 Amsoil and going to get some synthetic in the tranny to help with the cold days.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Hey guys,

I know not everyone will know much about this, but does anyone know how well the forte koup manages in the winter? ie. does it start easy? does it get stuck easily? these are kind of important to me because i live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. It's winter here for the majority of the year so not being able to drive in the winter would make me have to look for a different car.

Please have good news....i don't want a different car.....:D
Put QUALITY tire on each corner and you'll be fine.
The traction control is annoying but that can be turn off.
If you ever try to pull out of LOTS of snow with TC on, you'll cook your brake!
Auto climate control, remote start and heated seat will ease your pain A LOT!!!
Overall it's a good winter small car!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news :D The only reason i'm worried is because my sister has an 08 spectra 5 and she gets stuck pretty easily. I love the irony with traction control. My 2003 Pontiac Grand am is a beast in the snow. and starting without trouble at -35 not plugged in. There really isn't anything wrong with it except a lack of power windows. Kind of a big deal to me :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Put QUALITY tire on each corner and you'll be fine.
The traction control is annoying but that can be turn off.
If you ever try to pull out of LOTS of snow with TC on, you'll cook your brake!
Auto climate control, remote start and heated seat will ease your pain A LOT!!!
Overall it's a good winter small car!
Don't forget the heated side mirrors and heated wipers!!! :cool:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Side question, I'm looking to eventually lower my car with springs and also put on a CAI. Anyone have this set up and use it in the winter?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
So do the stock wheels that come on a the forte koup sx (goodyear eagle ls) any good?
Here we must, by law, put winter tire so I can't tell but if you have long harsh winter a good set of winter rubber will def be better! In my opinion the goodyear are crap! I don't even use them in summer time!

Side question, I'm looking to eventually lower my car with springs and also put on a CAI. Anyone have this set up and use it in the winter?
I will install my spring soon and will put back my stock air box for the winter...... who need a COLD air intake at -20ºC in winter?!?!?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here we must, by law, put winter tire so I can't tell but if you have long harsh winter a good set of winter rubber will def be better! In my opinion the goodyear are crap! I don't even use them in summer time!

I will install my spring soon and will put back my stock air box for the winter...... who need a COLD air intake at -20ºC in winter?!?!?

ypur kidding right? Who needs a CAI in the winter? LMAO leave the CAI on, it will be fine.. AS for coil overs.. leave em.. You might plow a bit of snow but youll be fine.. Damn have none of you driven in snow before
???? :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know a good winter tire size for this car? I'm thinking 16"s with some decent rubber. I don't want to throw snowies on the stock 17"s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know a good winter tire size for this car? I'm thinking 16"s with some decent rubber. I don't want to throw snowies on the stock 17"s.

Meh the size itself means nothing// Its more the softness of the tire.. I use The Blizzaks on my grand am in the winter and they are unreal.. I use a 205/55/16.. SAme as stock.. They make profiles down to 40 series I believe, And yes, a 40 series Blizzak cuts through snow like a hot knife thru butter.. My buddy had 4 of them on his AWD 98 eclipse gsx

mine

http://www.discounttirezone.com/Bridgestone-Blizzak-WS60_c_400-1.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just remember if you lower the car you don't have the same clearance as stock..(duh). I have an 08 Charger R/T with the Eibach lowering springs and it will do alright in light/soft snow but will not move if the snow is too deep or icy. The issue with pushing snow is that you can scrap up the car if there is any ice or hard crusty snow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn have none of you driven in snow before
???? :)
Funny how you're saying that to a person who lives in Quebec. I used to live there, and the snow just gets so wet and heavy. I never drove while I lived there(because I was 5) but I can't imagine how driving with a lowered car there is a good idea :cool:

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Funny how you're saying that to a person who lives in Quebec. I used to live there, and the snow just gets so wet and heavy. I never drove while I lived there(because I was 5) but I can't imagine how driving with a lowered car there is a good idea :cool:
I live in a metropolitain area so I won't plow any snow with my lowered Koup...... hey! I use to drive my Eagle Talon TSI during winter, best winter car ever!!! Except that after only one winter it start to rust like hell!:(
Ninjacola, you should have quite some snow too in Alberta!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts