Kia Forte Forum banner

Winter's Coming!

7K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Dipper McGee 
#1 ·
Hey all.
I'm new on the whole 17" low profile tire thing.
I know I've been under a rock for decades but winter's coming and well do you have to put low profile winter tires on? Do they exist and well the big question is if they are low profile winter tires are they as good as the others? I'm guessing they'll be big cash $$$ I tried to get the dealer to give me a winter tire credit on the purchase but hmm... well no go there. they agreed to almost everything but that so it gives me the frightening thought that they are super expensive?:eek:

#4 ·
I've had lo-pro's for quite some time now and it all depends on the rating of the tires. Usually the lower the profile, the better suited for speed and handling, which is because of a softer, stickier rubber and these tires are much better suited for summer driving conditions. From all of my experiences though, factory set-ups are most often all-season radials which should be fine for the whole year round. Oh, and driving on the stock 17's for winter should be absolutely fine (in the past I've had to ride on 18's with Z-rated tires for a few winters because of lack of funds-lol).

#5 ·
IMO you're better with 16" steel wheels and higher ratio than summer (assuming you have an SX). That way you'll save some money!

That's what I do for winter!
Yoko IG20 are greath winter tire for the price. Hakapelitta are the best but too expensive!

#8 ·
I've just started my winter tire search.
I'm looking into replacing the all-season rubber on the stock SX 17" with some good winter rubber that I hope will last at least 3 seasons.
I've had great experience with Michelin and Pirelli winter tires, but I've read/heard the new Continental ExtremeWinterContact is really good too. I'm looking for quiet winters with the good performance behind them.

#13 ·
I guess that depends a lot on where you are and how much snow you get.

I'm in the far north of Canada, and while it isn't super cold ALL winter, we don't get enough daylight to melt the snow away, so once it's here, it's here until April. It builds up, and gets rutted and some of the sidestreets never get plowed. WICKED ruts and potholes.

And, so, I won't be doing a body kit or any lowering.

#16 ·
Another highly recommended tire was the Toyo Observe Garit KX. Anyone here have experience with this model?

#17 ·
We have confirmed that a 15" rim will NOT fit on an SX.

I recommend Hankook winter tires to all my customers, and at this dealership we actually sell Hankooks at a rate of roughly 2 to 1 for any other brand. They are just the best tire for the money. Yes, you can spend two or three times more on a different tire, but the ice on the road doesn't care what the label says...

We have a buy two, get two free sale on so for an SX with a set of steel rims it's in the $700 area, mounted and balanced. Its CRAZY how many people do not use a winter tire considering how cheap they are... consider your insurance deductible plus even a small rate increase if you're found At Fault because you drove on substandard tires for the conditions... seems silly to me. Our snow tends to come and go throughout the season, but since the average local will spend 7-8 months on winters vs 4-5 months on 'summers'... there is no such thing as an "all season" tire for Canadians.

#19 ·
i put the stock sx wheel with hankook ice pick and the same as stock size tires and the koup is amazing on snow and ice... we have 6 inches of snow already
6"? Really? Man, I'm in the freakin' YUKON and we've barely got a trace!

Kia Canada was offering wheel/tire packages, and I picked a nice set of 5-spoke gray alloys with Falken snow tires... should have pics tomorrow...

#20 ·
I got a set of 205/55/16's from Canadian tire. They are goodyear nordics and I paid $60 and $120 per corner on steelies and tires!!!!! After taxes and m+b it was $900 and change. I haven't put them on yet but I have felt them on other vehicles and they are pretty grippy on even the slickest of ice. But then again I have always driven on all seasons until now so my opinion is kinda jaded.

#22 ·
Currently it's +2 in Whitehorse, zero in Edmonton and -3 in Regina... so yeah... you really have no grounds to complain about the winters in the Yukon!! hahaha

I realize that in a few months you'll be in the deep, dark depths of winter's icy clutches... but until then enjoy your autumn.

#30 ·
Here's what it's like in the Southern Yukon this fine Friday...
Beautiful!

I have been looking into Snows . I found best bang for buck is the General Ulti-Max Arctic their onsale Sears, Can tire adn best price OK tire $130 each for the 16`s, on steel $65 each that is mounted and balanced. with tax all 4 $ 875
You mean Altimax! ;)

They're great tires! I'm picking mines up tomorrow. :)

#28 · (Edited)
...and my baby with her new winter booties!

I'm thinking these wheels look nicer than the OEMs...

Now, they're 16s, and the Falken Espias are a bit noisier than my OEM Eagles, but it is a smoother ride...

The wheels are specifically built as winter alloys. Here's the link.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.