Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be wiring in my spoiler's LED brake light and was wondering if any had the wiring diagram to access the center brake light.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My spoiler was wired to the left side (driver side) brake light. It was the closest to the spoiler wire harness.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, thats right the brake lights are located in the trunk lid already. Well that makes it so much easier! Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am pretty sure it was to wired to the brake light in the chassis. Just follow the cables tied in the left side of the trunk lid and hide the connection with the cover matt on the side of the trunk. The guys that installed it took less than 20 minutes but they are used to it. If you need pictures I will take some and post them later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
My spoiler was wired to the left side (driver side) brake light. It was the closest to the spoiler wire harness.

For safety reasons, the spoiler should always be wired to the 3rd brake light (or in this case "HMSL (High Mounted Stop Lamp)" )... anyone who doesn't is cutting corners.. or at least that was what I was taught by an engineer..

I didn't see any specific electrical diagrams on kiatechinfo.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
I may be able to get a wiring diagram here at work in the next day or too. let me know if its needed

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure I could use it thanks. I took electrical engineering in college, at least the first 2 semesters for my Network Engineering Tech diploma, so even if its a little complex it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks CK.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Np. I went to UTI (universal technical institute) and i had like 8 classes on electrical diagnostics and such, wiring schematics( most of them, seen some nightmares ) are like reading the newspaper :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello- I hope this helps. This is how I wired my LED spoiler brake light. I ran the wire down through the hole I drilled in the trunk lid and fished it down to the driver side trunk lid hinge. There is an existing harness with a plastic wire loom attached to the hinge, just insert the new wires into that and follow the harness down the hinge to under the rear deck and stick the wires back out of the loom. Then guide the wire along the bottom of the rear deck to the original third brake light. Un-plug the original light and splice into the wires without cutting them by peeling back the insulation. Use electrical tape to finish the job and secure the connection up out of site! Let me know if this helps or if you would like me to post some pictures. It's actually pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like they are easily accessible. I didn't look in the trunk yet but thought they would be all covered up and such. Did you have to remove coverings besides the trunk lid cover?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like they are easily accessible. I didn't look in the trunk yet but thought they would be all covered up and such. Did you have to remove coverings besides the trunk lid cover?
It is very easy. The trunk lid cover is the only thing you have to remove. If you look up under the rear deck you will see the plug for the brake light and you will see how to feed the wire through the deck from the hinge to the plug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts