Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2010 Kia Forte SX with the 5 speed automatic and yesterday it went back as a lemon.. I wanted to share the reasons and give some helpful info to anyone else who may be having issues. In the end I had 7,100 miles on it over ~9 months I owned the car, from 900 miles I have had problems with the transmission.

I had the transmission replaced 4 times for the 2nd to 3rd gear "flare" that would sometimes rock the car violently. Each new transmission never fixed the issue, not even for a little while. Transmissions 2 through 4 were all new assemblies, transmission 1 was a re-man.

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) was also replaced at least once, did not correct issue.

Front wheel bearings kept failing on both sides and as of Wednesday when I brought the car in for the potential 5th transmission it was so loud I didn't feel safe driving on the highway anymore.

If any of you are having the transmission problem which is specifically a rough shift from 2nd to 3rd on the first start of the car, or after it has sat for ~5 mins, I advise you to not give up and contact your dealer.

I am hoping that my car was just a lemon and that everyone else has had success in their repairs, as part of my settlement I have purchased a 2011 Kia Sportage LX w/convenience package and received cash as well. Every Lemon law is different and I hope that none of you have to go through that... I definitely don't want to ever again.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car, but it's good you were able to get it settled. Good luck and enjoy your new Sportage.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Glad you were able to settle, sorry that you had poor luck with your car. I've got 36,XXX miles on mine and have yet to have any serious issues. Good luck with the sportage.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yikes, four transmissions... sounds like a problem somewhere in the electronics, or might even be with the engine. Oh well, I'm glad you got it set right.
I haven't had any problems with mine yet, knock on wood. (except the light for the hazard button flickers sometimes... loose connection?)

Usually when people have this much trouble with one car they shun the brand forever. I'm glad you stuck with Kia, they make great cars and the warranty can't be beat!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definitely glad they were able to work something out with the car problems. How is the Sportage? I am trying to talk my wife into getting one. Her only complaint is the size of the rear window (which is a big problem for her).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good to hear that you won your case - hopefully the new car treats you well! :)

I second tyzall1584, how is the Sportage? My wife currently drives a RAV4 that's getting on and I've been considering the Sportage as a replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes, four transmissions... sounds like a problem somewhere in the electronics, or might even be with the engine. Oh well, I'm glad you got it set right.
I haven't had any problems with mine yet, knock on wood. (except the light for the hazard button flickers sometimes... loose connection?)

Usually when people have this much trouble with one car they shun the brand forever. I'm glad you stuck with Kia, they make great cars and the warranty can't be beat!
I was more than pleased with the Forte, except for that problem. I couldn't fathom that the other 40,000 SX Automatics out there (very rough number) are having THIS much trouble. But I wanted to go back to a hatchback anyway and there weren't any Forte's near so a Sportage it was.. MPG is the same anyway and the price is nearly the same as another Forte SX.. So, I can't complain!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely glad they were able to work something out with the car problems. How is the Sportage? I am trying to talk my wife into getting one. Her only complaint is the size of the rear window (which is a big problem for her).
The Sportage is really good, they really did a good job on the fit and finish. All of the surfaces except the matte black have a rubbery soft feel and everything fits to a T. I agree on the back window, but I have the Convenience Package on the LX so I get the backup sensors but no camera. If she's worried about backing up I would go for an EX with a camera but that puts you into 18 inch tires which might be a little rough.. I've got the 17's and it's a good balance.

And best of all, its the new 6 speed automatic and it shifts silky smooth. Can't floor it for another 500 miles but I have no problems with acceleration with the AC on max in near 100F Humid Kansas Weather..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to hear that you won your case - hopefully the new car treats you well! :)

I second tyzall1584, how is the Sportage? My wife currently drives a RAV4 that's getting on and I've been considering the Sportage as a replacement.
Thanks, yeah its been a long process.. Glad it's over, I think most of the reason I stayed with Kia had a lot to do with the dealer. The Kia people themselves from Chicago were what you'd expect and terse at times but the local people were spot on. And hell they got to sell a car!

As far as the car goes, look at my last response to tyzall1584.. I'd say it is definitely much more compact than the current gen RAV4 but then I'm a single guy and don't need much room. It is quite comfortable but the seats are about as German car as they can get, I quite like that but I know some reviewers have said the seats are a bit hard. I think hard is unfair but firm and supportive is more accurate.. To each their own.

And again like I said the back window is a bit small so if you are worried about visibility backing up I'd get the Camera system in the EX or at least the LX Convenience Package which has the radar sensors or whatever, which is what I have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd say it is definitely much more compact than the current gen RAV4 but then I'm a single guy and don't need much room.
That's not a bad thing, my wife drives an '02 RAV4 and the current model has grown since then.

The rear visibility will be an issue so backup camera is probably a must but sucks that it only comes with 18" wheels... Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts