Kia Forte Forum banner

Would u trust Walmart?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my wheels and tires in the next day or two and have been looking around at where to get them balanced and mounted. Someone told me that walmart does it for real cheap so I'm thinking about letting them do it. Would u trust them? And if not, what other inexpensive place should I go to?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
would you trust a boat mechanic to work on your airplane?
would you trust a gardener to build a computer for you?
would you trust a golfer to hit that winning 3 pointer in a pick up game of b-ball?

must i continue? no i would not take it to walmart.

walmart does it for real cheap because they put real cheap effort into it. i'd either take it to a dealer or a wheel and tire shop. paying less will get you a cheaper and a less positive result.

im a tad biased because im not a fan of walmart at all. took my old car there to get the headlights buffed out so i could see better at night(i was in High school still) and they ended up cracking one of the plastic headlights. they dont know their ass hole from a whole in the ground

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some golfers can play basketball so I may trust them lol I know what ur saying aiden, I do but it is a full auto center with trained mechanics that work there. I understand that some people may not think they put their effort into it but it's either effort or fuckin it up and if there's a fuck up then I can fuck THEM up lol I just spent a shit load of money and rly don't wanta spend a lot to get them mounted so that's y I was asking but I'll check around for some tire places. Thanks aiden

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am getting my wheels and tires in the next day or two and have been looking around at where to get them balanced and mounted. Someone told me that walmart does it for real cheap so I'm thinking about letting them do it. Would u trust them? And if not, what other inexpensive place should I go to?
Wall Mart Employees are for the most part underpaid understaffed and under trained. The chances of the tire store employees being anymore than just out of high school and passed wall marts 3 day tire training seminar is not likely, I bet one of he the managers has multiple years in the industry but there not going to be the one working on your car. Take it to DISCOUNT TIRE there all over the US and my experience with them is great , pro s at what they do and $19 a rim inclds balance.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ no can do on Discount Tire. There isn't any on the island. I was thinking maybe Meineke or Mavis? Ill make some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the input fellas

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha exactly KIA, MJ did play golf haha I know that's what I SHOULD do lol but I don't wanta spend that much

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think wal-mart will touch the tires unless you buy them there anyway. While I dislike discount tire, because I feel $20.00 per tire for labor alone is a complete rip off. They are probably the most trustworthy not to damage your rims,tires, or TPMS system.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I've had tires done on my previous car and have had no problems with the not being balanced properly. Balancing a tire is not that hard of a task. The machine that the use does pretty much all the work for them.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I've had tires done on my previous car and have had no problems with the not being balanced properly. Balancing a tire is not that hard of a task. The machine that the use does pretty much all the work for them.
its more of a worry that they're going to forget a lug nut or forget to tighten some of the lug nuts all the way or, who knows, all of them on the wheel. or when theyre taking off/putting on your new wheels and tires, they scratch the shit out of your paint with one of the tools. its the small things that you SHOULD expect walmart to mess up and just because its cheaper, doesnt mean its better. like i said in my first post, you get what you pay for

if your going to take it to a grocery store to get it done, take it to a costco(if theyre up there). not walmart

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I've had more problems with dealership mechanics then walmart tire guys. I've seen a guy at the ford dealership by me, that went to college to be a mechanic, put a tire on inside out and release the car like that. The same mechanic didn't put oil in the engine of a car another time. As far as them forgetting to put a lug nut on its kinda easy to tell when one is missing lol.

I guess all depends on who trained them and how bright the mechanic is.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My concern would be scratched wheels & overtightened lug nuts. Take it to a pro, if there's one available. I had Firestone install my Kumhos & custom wheels, and they did a perfect job.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If going to Walmart i'd have no issue if i were going to just have tires mounted and balanced. honestly though, I have had so much trouble in the past with crossthreaded and overtightened lugs I don't let anyone take off or put on any of my wheels anymore.

Be sure that wherever you go you tell them to use the stick on wheel weights on the inside of the rim. Don't let them use the crimp ones to the outside or inside.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use Walmart for tire installation. Their bread and butter are simple tasks done in high volume; Oil changes, tire rotation/winter/summer change outs, ect...I think it would be wrong to assume that they would be inexperienced.
I wouldn't have them change out a head gasket, But tires? That is pretty hard to fuck up!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've done my tires at walmart before, TWICE. and i've had no problem. but then again, the walmart around here is one of the biggest walmart supercenters in the USA.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Some golfers can play basketball so I may trust them lol I know what ur saying aiden, I do but it is a full auto center with trained mechanics that work there. I understand that some people may not think they put their effort into it but it's either effort or fuckin it up and if there's a fuck up then I can fuck THEM up lol I just spent a shit load of money and rly don't wanta spend a lot to get them mounted so that's y I was asking but I'll check around for some tire places. Thanks aiden
If you just spent alot of money on the rims/tires, then why not spend a few extra bucks and get them mounted properly. Wal-mart may have "trained" mechanics, but the workers there really don't take pride in the work they do. A local shop will and will want good word of mouth from you when people ask about your new "eye-popping" new wheelz.
It's cheaper to get it done right the first time, than to pay to get it fixed later.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ good point sir. I will most likely take my sick new wheels elsewhere and to a known tire place. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
519 Posts
mounting and balancing are not rocket science they have machines that give the person an exact print out of what weight the tire needs.... i dont see why you wouldnt take it there if its cheaper its really not something that should be expensive to begin with

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't speak from personal experience but I know two friends that had tires installed at Walmart. Both of them got tires from Tirerack.com
One had a tire that was out of balance and when he took it back the next day they said it was a bad tire. Since it came from Tirerack they of course wouldn't go any further than that. He took it to a "tire shop" and they balanced it fine.
Another friend had two of his four rims gouged because they they scraped them when mounting the tires. Eventually he got money to pay for two replacement rims but he had to deal with Walmart customer relations. The store manager wouldn't do anything for him until corporate was involved.

Bottom line, if you are going to pay the money for tires and/or wheels, why not go with someone that does it for their livelihood.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.