Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I wouldn't patch, especially if it's near the sidewall...I had a patch go out (As seen in the picture) on my Dodge Stratus going 68 on the freeway and almost killed myself...I almost lost control, and had to go across 2 lanes to stop the car, nearly hitting another car that luckily was paying attention.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I wouldn't patch, especially if it's near the sidewall...I had a patch go out (As seen in the picture) on my Dodge Stratus going 68 on the freeway and almost killed myself...I almost lost control, and had to go across 2 lanes to stop the car, nearly hitting another car that luckily was paying attention.
Sounds like someone did a bad patch job. A patch installed on the inside of a tire properly would not have a catastrophic failure unless it was improperly done. And it is common knowledge to not patch any tire with a hole closer than 1" from the side wall.

Now a push-in plug I wouldn't trust on a bike tire...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I was going to say if you have to patch a tire thats fine.. patch on the sidewall is a huge no no.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is preferable to patch from the inside. However, I have one of my tires plugged and it seems to have held up fine over thousands of miles. The problem comes, as they say, when it is too near the sidewall which prevents the inside plug.

Screws and nails are just something we have to put up with. So long as all of the trash and debris is littering the roads, we will have this problem. And stay off the shoulders where most of this stuff eventually winds up.

Be glad that you didn't have a blowout or flat on the road. In over a million miles of driving I have never had a catastrophic failure except one time I had a friend driving down Florida exceeding the load limit and speeds for the time. That could have been serious, very serious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts