Kia Forte Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2011 Forte ex with the 2.0 and it was used when my wife bought it so I have no idea of the maintenance records on the car. Check engine light is illuminated because of the VCCM and short of taking the engine out and tearing down to see if oil passages are blocked or restricted, I am at a crossroad as what to do. I changed oil and will let it run for 1500 miles then change it again. When it hits another 1500 I will change it again, drop the pan and make sure I don't have a sludge problem. I will not use engine cleaners or engine flushes or other additives that make claims that never work. I do have the light tapping noise from the engine, not a knocking noise like some in here say they have had.I also have another dash light illuminated. The EPS light. Anyone who has had the same problem and knows of what to look for please add any info you think could be helpful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 2010 EX, 2.0 has had a slight tapping sound about as long as I've owned it. (2011, 42,000 miles)
Currently still going strong, still has the tapping sound, still average 32 mpg highway. Driven daily to and from work (140 miles/day) 365,000 miles.
Nothing but routine service. Mobil 1 5W20 oil since I bought the car, changed every 7000 - 8000 miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As per the facebook group, the original defective engine block is part number 259y22Gh00

The revised replacement is 242y22gh00a
I looked up a "new" block for my specific VIN. The referenced replacement appears to NOT be an acceptable fit for my car. The only option offered is the original part number. This from the KiaPartsNow site.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I decided to trade my 2011 2.0 with 80K miles. :crying2: It's been a great car for 8 years, not a single issue other than the loud knocking when cold that started ~60K miles ( and got progressively worse). It was nearly a constant knock even when warm when I traded it. It might have lasted a long time, but being a former mechanic I just cringed every time I started it and heard the clanking.

I don't fault Kia, as every car company known has had a bad batch of engines now and then. Just unfortunate mine was one of them. All the other Kia cars I have owned were great cars and lasted forever. Wishing all the best of luck with your Kia, I know I miss mine already!
Joined the ranks today. Trading the Kia in for a non-korean vehicle.
I wish you all the best with yours, ours is headed to the crusher Wednesday. Dealer confirmed it. Nobody wants a Forte regardless of the new brakes and maintenance due to the sour engine. Shame too. If not for the engine wearing out before any of the lights blew...... That's right. Never even had to change a bulb and not a speck of rust.
Oh well. The lack of customer care (going on two weeks now) claiming they would be in contact within 2 or 3 days to try to resolve my issue, I might have stayed with Kia. Several attempts to initiate the discussion left unanswered killed my desire.

Found an awesome deal I cannot pass up.

Bye guys.
Joe

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our local dealer calls every few months to say that they'll pay top dollar for my 2010 Forte EX. "We have a list of people looking for a car just like yours". I'm surprised they haven't taken my name off their call list yet.
When I ask how many people on their list are really looking for a car with over 300,000 miles, they hang up on me.
Mike in MN
Still going strong at 337,000 miles!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forte Engine is Defective Merchandise

My 2015 Kia Forte has been diagnosed by Kia technician at a dealership to have failed due to scoring of the cylinders. This is due to defective assembly and part installation in this engine. Unfortunately Kia Canada does not wish to honour this engine failure at less than 5 years old and only 108,000KM. Warranty is simply a written surety or promise. The condition of sale is underpinned by tort law and the law of contract. If Kia Canada thinks their imaginary line in the sand warranty is the difference between them honouring their defective merchandise or not, they are mistaken. They are breaking the law on a number of grounds. They are selling defective merchandise that is not of merchantable quality. This car is defective and cannot be sold or liquidated. It is worthless they way they have built it. They have designed this car to go for more than 108,000KM yet the engine fails at 40% life. Kia Canada wants their customers to feel guilty as if it is their fault that their car engine failed. It is their fault that they commerced with Kia. Kia is breaking the law in Canada and their engine's are going to likely soon to cause enough safety issues that they will be forced to recall every Forte engine they have made. Also, they will lose in court on a class action. If anybody is facing these issues, they must immediately sue Kia Canada in small claims Court for damage. Kia is breaking the law with the sale of defective engines and the warranty is not something they can hide behind. They are bound by law to sell cars of merchantable quality that are free from any defects, regardless of any warranty gimmick they use to rip people off on the sale of their crappy cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Forte SX 131k miles,the engine seized up at highway speeds,no warning,had the motor rebuilt for 6k,supposely KIA left metal shavings in the engine at the time of manufacturing and it gets sent through the engine in the oil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt one of these engines? If so, why is kia replacing the engine instead of fixing them?

A set of DNJ .20 over-sized pistons and rings can be had for less than $150 on amazon. Might be a fun summer project.

I receently had mine rebuilt at a local dealership,there was 7 cars ahead of mine for getting engines rebuilt.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I receently had mine rebuilt at a local dealership,there was 7 cars ahead of mine for getting engines rebuilt.
I'm going to call this pure and total Canadian Forte Facebook Group Bull$hit. Care to post your paperwork from Kia to prove that I'm wrong about that?

·
Registered
996 Posts
what are you talking about?
What I'm talking about is that this thread (and other ones on this forum) are filled with stories of massive numbers of Forte engines failing, primarily vehicles from Canada posted by Forte Facebook group users. Whenever I've asked questions of these posters, they almost never reply at all, and absolutely never offer any proof of what they're saying. No conversation, no credibility.

Be advised that I'm no Kia fanboy, and am fully on board that there have been a very large number of Theta GDI/Turbo engine failures. However, I have never seen anything so far that indicates there has been an excessively high number of Forte engine issues.

Now in your specific case, you wrote: "there was 7 cars ahead of mine for getting engines rebuilt." That's what I don't believe. First off, Kia dealerships do not rebuild engines under warranty because the Kia corporation does not allow that to be an option. The only approved warranty choice for dealers is to install a new or rebuilt replacement engine, sent to them by Kia. Reading between the lines, IMO that says quite a bit about how the corporation feels about the capability of their dealership service departments.

So that must mean that all 7 of those vehicles in line for a rebuild were also out of warranty. I just simply don't believe that 7 other owners were forking over 6K to rebuild a seized engine, when a used engine can be found and installed for far less than that. Plus, there's the consideration that rebuilding a seized engine is a questionable proposition under any circumstances.

It's well known that there are trolls and (competing) dealer types running around on all of these auto forums, trashing out whatever the particular vehicle make is. So anyone new (i.e. with no history) who shows up with a story that doesn't exactly add up, becomes a suspect for being one of the above.

But you can prove at least one important part of what you wrote by simply posting an image of the paperwork you received from the Kia dealership for the engine rebuild they did for your vehicle. Do that and your story gains lots of credibility. When I'm wrong about something, I have no problem admitting it. But if you don't post back, then your story goes into my waste basket, along with most of the rest of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My 2010 Kia Forte EX 2.0L developed the "cold knock" problem 3+ years ago. It has progressively gotten worse. Especially noticeable on cold mornings. I've taken it to mechanics for this problem who replaced/adjusted/lubricated various parts but the problem never really went away, telling me that it sounds normal. I'm now at 116k and wish I googled for this problem earlier. Turns out I'm not alone with this problem.

There's over 3100 members on the Quebec Class Action Lawsuit facebook page for Kia Forte engine "knocking" problems. Pretty much every day 2-3 new people are posting about this problem. Lots of people there are saying Kia Canada is replacing many of these engines for free, even when out of warranty. Some people have had their engines replaced 2-3 times. I wish Kia would just own up that their 2010-2015 Kia Forte engines have defects and do a proper recall.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kiaforteproblememoteur
Class action page: http://tjl.quebec/recours-collectifs/kia-forte-problemes-de-moteur/
My 2010 just started that knock at 115k now it's blowing out hire smoke if I accelerate hard to speed up

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I'm talking about is that this thread (and other ones on this forum) are filled with stories of massive numbers of Forte engines failing, primarily vehicles from Canada posted by Forte Facebook group users. Whenever I've asked questions of these posters, they almost never reply at all, and absolutely never offer any proof of what they're saying. No conversation, no credibility.

Be advised that I'm no Kia fanboy, and am fully on board that there have been a very large number of Theta GDI/Turbo engine failures. However, I have never seen anything so far that indicates there has been an excessively high number of Forte engine issues.

Now in your specific case, you wrote: "there was 7 cars ahead of mine for getting engines rebuilt." That's what I don't believe. First off, Kia dealerships do not rebuild engines under warranty because the Kia corporation does not allow that to be an option. The only approved warranty choice for dealers is to install a new or rebuilt replacement engine, sent to them by Kia. Reading between the lines, IMO that says quite a bit about how the corporation feels about the capability of their dealership service departments.

So that must mean that all 7 of those vehicles in line for a rebuild were also out of warranty. I just simply don't believe that 7 other owners were forking over 6K to rebuild a seized engine, when a used engine can be found and installed for far less than that. Plus, there's the consideration that rebuilding a seized engine is a questionable proposition under any circumstances.

It's well known that there are trolls and (competing) dealer types running around on all of these auto forums, trashing out whatever the particular vehicle make is. So anyone new (i.e. with no history) who shows up with a story that doesn't exactly add up, becomes a suspect for being one of the above.

But you can prove at least one important part of what you wrote by simply posting an image of the paperwork you received from the Kia dealership for the engine rebuild they did for your vehicle. Do that and your story gains lots of credibility. When I'm wrong about something, I have no problem admitting it. But if you don't post back, then your story goes into my waste basket, along with most of the rest of them.
Another Canadian checking in with early engine failure on a very well maintained Forte.

It's not just a bunch of Canadians making this up, it's a real issue with this garbage Kia is selling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another Canadian checking in with early engine failure on a very well maintained Forte.

It's not just a bunch of Canadians making this up, it's a real issue with this garbage Kia is selling.

Are the forte's in Canada made differently? If not I would assume the car does not hold up well in the climate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lets see what happens when it's you instead.
I know I did regular maintenance. I know I took care of the car. I also know the engine dying was a design flaw and that I did nothing to influence it beyond simply driving it.
As pointed out by Gusten, maybe the colder climates has something to do with it. I know I allowed mine to warm in colder temperatures prior to driving it.

Maybe you live in a warmer climate where such issues may never appear. Hopefully for you that's the case. But referencing our issues as "rightful trash" is a bit offensive.
I have a Theta MPI engine my car is a 2013 Forte I had the motor rebuilt and four months later it's leakkng oil and they want to put a new engine in. I took car of my car and had regular oil changes every 3k miles it's a manufacture defect

·
Registered
8 Posts

here's what you wanted

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Kia logo, dealership name, or date, so what you supplied above doesn't validate your story . Post those, and maybe we'll have something to talk about.
I'm not exactly sure why you think I'm lying,the car has a manufacture's defect,they left metal shavings in the engine at the time of production,and they mix with the oil and cause catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why you think I'm lying....

Well, this is what you posted 4 months ago:

What does Lipscomb Auto Sales (a small used car dealer) have to do with a 'local dealership' that rebuilds engines, and had 7 KIAs with blown engines lined up ahead of yours being rebuilt? That part about 7 engines being rebuilt ahead of yours is what originally jumped off the page at me, and nothing you have posted since then makes me believe anything about your story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, this is what you posted 4 months ago:

What does Lipscomb Auto Sales (a small used car dealer) have to do with a 'local dealership' that rebuilds engines, and had 7 KIAs with blown engines lined up ahead of yours being rebuilt? That part about 7 engines being rebuilt ahead of yours is what originally jumped off the page at me, and nothing you have posted since then makes me believe anything about your story.
I bought my car from Lipscomb Auto Sales,they towed it to the local KIA dealership,they dealt with KIA not me,the car was listed in their name,they added the 6k for the motor onto my account.The local KIA dealership had 7 KIAs ahead of me for rebuilds.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts