Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I bought my car from Lipscomb Auto Sales,they towed it to the local KIA dealership,they dealt with KIA not me,the car was listed in their name,they added the 6k for the motor onto my account.The local KIA dealership had 7 KIAs ahead of me for rebuilds.
Ok, after seeing everything that you've posted, I'm now able to put all the pieces together and make sense out of your story. The part that was throwing me off from the beginning was your statement that engines were being 'rebuilt'. However, based on the itemized list that you posted, it's totally clear that your engine (short block) was replaced, not rebuilt. And I'm now also virtually certain that those 7 vehicles in line ahead of yours were also having the engines replaced as well. And it's also fairly likely that most (and perhaps all) of those other vehicles were GDI/Turbo engines being replaced under warranty/recall.

I also now realize that you're probably not aware that there is a very big difference between rebuilding an engine and replacing one. So much of a difference that if you had used the word replaced, instead of rebuilt, I would not have been questioning your story as I have been doing, because Kia has been replacing lots of engines over the past few years. And I also wouldn't be surprised if the sales person at Lipscomb that you were dealing with also use the word rebuilt, instead of replaced. So the bottom line is I now believe your story and apologize for giving you a such a hard time with this. There are lots of troll and competing dealer types running around on these forums, and sometimes it's difficult to separate legitimate posters from the jokers and fakers.

Now having said all of that, here's something for you to take into consideration. You bought you Forte used, and I'm assuming that the vehicle did not come with a reliable history of oil changes. If so, then it's entirely possible that the engine failed strictly due to poor oil maintenance. It is unfortunately a fact of life that too many people do not take care of their vehicles properly, and very often dump them on unsuspecting individuals like you, when the first sign of a problem shows up.

In any case, you will not accomplish anything by posting on auto forums that your engine had a manufacturing defect, except to possibly make you feel better by ranting about it. So if that's what floats your boat, then carry on. But if you want to do something that may possibly help your case, then file a complaint with the NHTSA. I don't think complaints like that will result in Kia taking any action with your vehicle model, but I guess it's not impossible either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why do you make such generalized statements? Are you personally being attacked? What's in it for you? You literary have not bothered to even read the facebook group. This the process that people have been following:

1. Perform an internal endoscope of the engine (1 hour of labour at the dealer at the expense of Kia corporate)
2. If scope results show scratched pistons/cylinders (which the knocking sound is an early indicator of) then Kia corporate pays for engine replacement (often even if car is out of warranty) as engine wear will only get worse and failure is only a matter of time

This is not a simple minor repair, it's literary as big as it gets. It takes weeks and is a massive inconvenience, and lots of people have gone through it. I don't know why you dismiss it so casually.

In my particular case, yes the knocking sound started 3+ years ago. And I took it to several mechanics over that time, trying to investigate the cause. I have the receipts to prove it. They've replaced various belts and made adjustments, lubricating things etc but there was never a permanent fix. Our car probably hasn't had more serious problems yet (i.e. a blown engine) because we only drive about ~10k per year. But now I know that my case is extremely typical of how the defect manifests itself. And there's a 2 class action lawsuits that are exactly for this issue. I'm not familiar with weedhopr's experience, but every day there's more and more people posting about this issue, and weedhopr's experience seems more and more like a one-off anecdote.
So if I take it to kia and that's the issue kia will pay for the parts ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just had the engine replaced on my 2010 Kia Forte Ex with 137,000km (way out of warranty)
Brand new engine (not a refurb), for free

Here's a good read on the ever-expanding recalls: Hyundai, Kia fined for delaying US engine failure recalls

Mine was replaced for free despite not being included in the official list of recalled vehicles

Check the quebec facebook group on Kia engine replacements -- hundreds have gone through this process

Recall list got expanded yet again just 4 days ago (my car is still not included lol): After Hyundai, Kia issues recall for its engines - The Times Hub

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
659 Posts
I know mine was well cared for, yet if failed anyway.
You can doubt all you want. I know different.
If I even had driven it hard I would not be as upset, knowing I had contributed.

You do bring up a good question though... If the only replacements are rebuilt ones from J yards, then why isn't that offered? Rebuilding the original?

Used engine - Nope. The dealer had a car in for the knock, installed a used engine and it was worse than the original one. Owner was added to the wait list for the replacement. If I decided to go that route, it would only be to dump the car immediately since I cannot trust the engine, especially one with an unknown history.
Absolutely & perfectly stated, said & typed. Why not just repair the engine with new pistons, rings, bearings inserts, connecting rods, oil pump (if needed), new oil pan gasket, hone/smooth the cylinder walls, would be cheaper. There's videos on you tube showing piston slap/knocking/ticking grenade syndrome of death.

Owner lack of preventive maintenance or sh*try Kia/Hyundai engines?

As for me I've taken care of my new to me Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 better than my own family.

I have always told to friends & family to respect my car & I never allowed food, drinks, smoking, muddy ass shoes, don't slam any doors/trunk, NEVER F*CKING CLOSE/OPEN ANY VEHICLE DOORS BY PUSHING OR PULLING ON THE GLASS IT WILL BREAK. RESPECT MY CARS OR GET THE F*CK OUT & KICK ROCK"

Yes, I have left friends & family on the side of the street/road for disrespecting my cars. Cost me time, money, patience, energy maintenance. They come around when they needs a lift/taxi/Uber & Lyft like a a needy ass street cat fed'em/help them once & they never f*cling leave. Only come around when they need something but never help or are around when you need assistance to diy/wrench, repairs/parts buying & a ride to the local Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto parts, Pepboys, Napa/junk/salvage yard.

It's been in the 20's & 30''s freezingvtemps since Saturday 2-13-21. City wide highways/bridges & over passes closed by city & police. Few million Corpus Christi residents without water, power & utilities.

My Kia has been making loud ticking & loud knocking on Saturday.

I started & let my Kia idle for 5min. NEVER REVING. HVAC all off, stereo off, defrost off. In neutral, E brake on.

After 5min THEN I turned the steering wheel to stop left & right then center. Turned off engine E brake engaged & shifted into all gears to make sure the transmission fluid was warm enough to allow shift.

Then turned on my Kia, the loud ticking & knocking was still there. I popped the hood & it's was loud.

Loud enough to make me say "that's f*cking loud car don't you god damn f*cking dare. I need you to last me into the 400,000+ miles, don't you f*cking start"

I drove my Kia around for 30min Satuday all street @ 40mph, black ice on streets.

Sunday, did the same as Saturday.
Monday, did the same & today (Tuesday 2-16-21 @ 5pm) I just sat in my Kia for 20min HVAC off. Freezing my ass off. Loud ticking & that loud knocking. My driver & passenger seats were vibrating/trembling/shaking like a massage chair on level 1 & 2. Take your wife, kid 1 kid 2 kid 3 & your phone & sit on them & put on vibrate. That's what I felt. My Kia had never done that. It was doing that for about the 20min I was in my Kia freezing my ass off. Windows were all fogged up btw.

NO I NEVER REVED THE ENGINE since the freeze temps. The engine oil color & condition are still in great status. Brake fluid, power steering fluid & Antifreeze/coolant also in great condition color & status. Always used NGK spark plugs & OEM/factory Kia/Hyundai engine oil filters & 5W30 full synthetic engine oil.

The only thing I'm worried about is the windshield washer fluid is frozen solid. I f*cking hope it didn't crack/break the windshield resivour.

The loud "wtf/has me worried/please be just the f*cking cold" louder than normal ticking & knocking comes from the passenger side/left side of the engine.

I've been recording video at every start up. I'm not over reacting & looking to be a drama & attention whore.

I know my Kia. Something is not right. I just hope that it's because it's god damn freezing temps & engines are made from aluminum is the problem that won't cause serious severe problems & damges.

Also today my Kia rolled into 90,035miles today. Researching & reading & video on YouTube on the Kia/Hyundai engines failing has me worried.

I really think these engines aren't made for extreme cold freezing (bust metal & pvc water pipes & sewage lines) weather. More if the previous owner/owner is at fault for non preventable maintenance or up keep & treating their cars like F&F/NFS/Forza when they don't have the engine/transmission & suspension upgrades & parts.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt one of these engines? If so, why is kia replacing the engine instead of fixing them?

A set of DNJ .20 over-sized pistons and rings can be had for less than $150 on amazon. Might be a fun summer project.
👏👏👏👏👏💯💯💯💯💯💯

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just had the engine replaced on my 2010 Kia Forte Ex with 137,000km (way out of warranty)
Brand new engine (not a refurb), for free

Here's a good read on the ever-expanding recalls: Hyundai, Kia fined for delaying US engine failure recalls

Mine was replaced for free despite not being included in the official list of recalled vehicles

Check the quebec facebook group on Kia engine replacements -- hundreds have gone through this process

Recall list got expanded yet again just 4 days ago (my car is still not included lol): After Hyundai, Kia issues recall for its engines - The Times Hub
@alexthefifth,

Too bad your Kia/Hyundai dealership is 8n Canada. I'd take my Kia over to them & just have them scan/check the heath staus of my Kia.

The only Kia/Hyundai dealership in Corpus wants to charge me a few hundred just to check.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Check the list of Kia Forte recalls here, your engine might be covered, they updated the list 2 weeks ago: Search Results
It's Canadian so would these recalls aka "Product Improvement Campaigns." be the same in the U.S.?

They should. Same Kia/Hyundai sold just some creature comforts/trims & goodies are different/left out/available but still have the same engines.

I typed my vin # in & nothing comes up. Also get the if I changed my address notice/message.

The only recall "Product Improvement Campaigns." repairs done to my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 was the airbag control unit (ACU) extension wire harness, that it.
Even at that, the sevice "wanna be mechanic" writer didn't like it that I request that recall be done for free on my Kia. Gave me that look of "whatever you little punk" as he rolled his eyes & let out a sigh as he was giving him my keys.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts