Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
I bought my car from Lipscomb Auto Sales,they towed it to the local KIA dealership,they dealt with KIA not me,the car was listed in their name,they added the 6k for the motor onto my account.The local KIA dealership had 7 KIAs ahead of me for rebuilds.
Ok, after seeing everything that you've posted, I'm now able to put all the pieces together and make sense out of your story. The part that was throwing me off from the beginning was your statement that engines were being 'rebuilt'. However, based on the itemized list that you posted, it's totally clear that your engine (short block) was replaced, not rebuilt. And I'm now also virtually certain that those 7 vehicles in line ahead of yours were also having the engines replaced as well. And it's also fairly likely that most (and perhaps all) of those other vehicles were GDI/Turbo engines being replaced under warranty/recall.

I also now realize that you're probably not aware that there is a very big difference between rebuilding an engine and replacing one. So much of a difference that if you had used the word replaced, instead of rebuilt, I would not have been questioning your story as I have been doing, because Kia has been replacing lots of engines over the past few years. And I also wouldn't be surprised if the sales person at Lipscomb that you were dealing with also use the word rebuilt, instead of replaced. So the bottom line is I now believe your story and apologize for giving you a such a hard time with this. There are lots of troll and competing dealer types running around on these forums, and sometimes it's difficult to separate legitimate posters from the jokers and fakers.

Now having said all of that, here's something for you to take into consideration. You bought you Forte used, and I'm assuming that the vehicle did not come with a reliable history of oil changes. If so, then it's entirely possible that the engine failed strictly due to poor oil maintenance. It is unfortunately a fact of life that too many people do not take care of their vehicles properly, and very often dump them on unsuspecting individuals like you, when the first sign of a problem shows up.

In any case, you will not accomplish anything by posting on auto forums that your engine had a manufacturing defect, except to possibly make you feel better by ranting about it. So if that's what floats your boat, then carry on. But if you want to do something that may possibly help your case, then file a complaint with the NHTSA. I don't think complaints like that will result in Kia taking any action with your vehicle model, but I guess it's not impossible either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why do you make such generalized statements? Are you personally being attacked? What's in it for you? You literary have not bothered to even read the facebook group. This the process that people have been following:

1. Perform an internal endoscope of the engine (1 hour of labour at the dealer at the expense of Kia corporate)
2. If scope results show scratched pistons/cylinders (which the knocking sound is an early indicator of) then Kia corporate pays for engine replacement (often even if car is out of warranty) as engine wear will only get worse and failure is only a matter of time

This is not a simple minor repair, it's literary as big as it gets. It takes weeks and is a massive inconvenience, and lots of people have gone through it. I don't know why you dismiss it so casually.

In my particular case, yes the knocking sound started 3+ years ago. And I took it to several mechanics over that time, trying to investigate the cause. I have the receipts to prove it. They've replaced various belts and made adjustments, lubricating things etc but there was never a permanent fix. Our car probably hasn't had more serious problems yet (i.e. a blown engine) because we only drive about ~10k per year. But now I know that my case is extremely typical of how the defect manifests itself. And there's a 2 class action lawsuits that are exactly for this issue. I'm not familiar with weedhopr's experience, but every day there's more and more people posting about this issue, and weedhopr's experience seems more and more like a one-off anecdote.
So if I take it to kia and that's the issue kia will pay for the parts ?

61 - 62 of 62 Posts