Kia Forte Forum banner

YUM!!Twin Turbos!!!!

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  dojaman 
#1 ·
#3 ·
hahaha wha????!!!!!!!!!
damn!
I need this!
I never planned on twin turboing it though lol, can't even get my head around that...
I'll be happy running 8psi with a small turbo, i guess each turbo is "boosting" (adding air and methanol) to 2 cylinders, so it has less lag? idk how a parallel twin turbo setup works, and I'm guessing this isn't twin in series, because they both look like the same turbocharger, and I know series uses a small one and a big one, to spool earlier with the small turbo, while the larger turbo helps out the top end?
this chit is confusing but that looks amazing, and I wanna see some dyno numbers and a video!
if they've actually dropped this in a car (and theres plenty of room in the forte engine bay) then this is probably the first TT kia ever

#10 ·
Didn't the Koup concept car came with twin-screw turbo>? or was it a supercharger? I will have to check it out. I know it was with the 2.0 engine but it was rated at 275+ hp if I am not mistaken

#12 ·
You are right! This is what it had:
Kia KOUP Concept had been premiered as new concept by Kia at the 2008 New York auto Show. Powered by a 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged engine with a GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) twin scroll turbocharger, the Kia KOUP Concept may develops 290 hp and 289 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.

#17 ·
did they put a tuscani engine in a koup or something? our turbo would go behind the block, I would think, this is in the front

plus throttle body looks to be in a slightly different place?
who knows, after translating the page with google, I'm more confused. lol

#23 ·
corytate wrote: itd be nice to find out if the 2.0's could use some of the higher quality internals from a 4b11t, because they're both the same other than the evo having better quality, stronger, internals
then we could work on building these things to take some serious power!
thatd be amazing [/corytate]

they only share same block design. we have 2 bolt mains, MItsu has 4 bolt. Mitsu & Chrysler tweaked theirs to their own needs, like the intake & exhaust manifolds.

The theta is aluminum alloy engine block, which is formed using high-pressure die-cast method, has a unique Metaldyne-supplied cassette-type balance shaft module with a two-stage oil pump built-in. In the lower-end, the block is reinforced by a ladder frame. Other notable features include fracture-split sinter-forged connecting rods and stainless-steel exhaust manifold. Cooling System is open type water jacket.
We have Hydraulic motor mounts, maintenance free “silent” steel timing chain, multi-point fuel injection. A pent-roof combustion chamber & shimless bucket tappets. Fuel rail is stainless steel. Stainless steel exhaust manifold and plastic intake manifold.
For engine management (EMS) Hyundai/KIA went with Seimens software EMS-II from Siemens VDO and the 32-bit PCM.

Heres an interesting article I found. There talking about the theta 2.0. I dont know how much was tweaked after for the 2.4 variants.

Originally Posted by Development of 2.0 Liter Hyundai High Power Engine * Dr. Jongbum Park, Dr. Sihun Lee, Dr. Bong-Hoon Han, Dr. Woo Tai Kim( Hyundai Motor Company, Korea )
A 2.0 Liter High Performance Engine(HPE) is developed for next generation Hyundai sporty coupe. It is based on newly developed Hyundai Theta Engine under mass production, which is equipped with aluminum alloy cylinder block, ladder frame, and intake Continuously Variable Valve Timing(CVVT).

The modifications to HPE include the reinforcement of moving parts for high revolution over 7,500rpm, adoption of 2-stage Variable Valve Lift(VVL), Variable Intake System(VIS), and exhaust Continuously Variable Valve Timing(CVVT) for improvement in fuel efficiency as well as in performance.

By applying these variable mechanisms, it was possible to achieve significantly improved torque, power and fuel consumption: 40% improvement in maximum power, 10% improvement in maximum torque, and 4% reduction in fuel consumption.
Investigation shows that the application of VIS and VVL can give major improvements to performance and fuel consumption respectively. The development of the VIS was in joint with Lotus.

The Cylinder Head Layout
The cylinder head of Theta base engine has DOHC, intake CVVT with direct acting type mechanical lash adjuster. The base engine is compact in size and gives proper functionality and durability for normal use. However it was necessary to design and make a new cylinder head to accommodate larger flow capacity and variable valve
system for HPE. HPE adopted a direct acting type 2-stage VVL system and CVVT system for intake and exhaust camshaft. Adoption of VVL displaced the intake port downward and the camshaft upward by 5 and 10mm respectively.

Intake and Exhaust Ports -
As described earlier, the position of valve spring and port flange should be shifted down by 5mm. All new intake port had to be developed under limited layout but for significantly larger intake flow for high power​

The Exhaust Manifold according to the same above article is
A 4-2-1 exhaust manifold with larger diameter (by 10% on average) and longer pipe lengths (by 50mm respectively) was applied to HPE. The dimensions of the exhaust manifold were determined from the 1-D
performance simulation results. It was fabricated by bending and welding the stainless steel pipes and flanges. Not sure if KIA had to customize length for the Forte Sedan & Koup.

The Cranktrain -
The piston material was changed from cast to forged aluminum. A few oil holes for pin boss lubrication and oil drain were added to the new piston. The piston pin size was increased by 2mm, according to the stress analysis results. To endure higher in-cylinder pressure and inertial force from speed increase, a new connecting rod was designed for HPE. It had a slender flank thanks to the material change from sintered metal to forged steel. In addition, the crankshaft bearing loads, oil film thickness, crankshaft stress, torsional vibration
amplitude and fixing bolt loads were estimated. Design changes were made as necessary: for example, use of friction washer for damper pulley bolt.

#24 ·
That did not look like a Theta II engine to me. Also this set up could work with 2 small turbochargers, but they could be hard to tune. Having 2 turbos in line would be great but a twin scroll turbo would work wonders on the Koups engine. The only real issue is FWD torque steer would suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.